Sunday, January 11, 2009

Coffee Filters--who knew?

I got this as an e-mail from a relative:

1. Cover bowls or dishes when cooking in the microwave. Coffee filters make excellent covers.

2. Clean windows and mirrors. Coffee filters are lint-free so they'll leave windows sparkling.

3. Protect China. Separate your good dishes by putting a coffee filter between each dish.

4. Filter broken cork from wine. If you break the cork when opening a wine bottle, filter the wine through a coffee filter.

5. Protect a cast-iron skillet. Place a coffee filter in the skillet to absorb moisture and prevent rust.

6. Apply shoe polish. Ball up a lint-free coffee filter.

7. Recycle frying oil. After frying, strain oil through a sieve lined with a coffee filter.

8. Weigh chopped foods. Place chopped ingredients in a coffee filter on a kitchen scale.

9. Hold tacos. Coffee filters make convenient wrappers for messy foods.

10. Stop the soil=2 0from leaking out of a plant pot. Line a plant pot with a coffee filter to prevent the soil from going through the drainage holes.

11. Prevent a Popsicle from dripping. Poke one or two holes as needed in a coffee filter.

12. Do you think we used expensive strips to wax eyebrows? Use strips of coffee filters.

13. Put a few in a plate and put your fried bacon, French fries, chicken fingers, etc on them. Soaks out all the grease.

Really? Can all this be true? I only wonder. I'm not a coffee drinker, so I don't feel compelled to buy coffee filters. Sometimes I feel compelled to try ideas like these that many people (including myself) may have never known. A few years ago, I bought a book called The Hippie Handbook, which advised using baking soda as a cleaner. I din;t completely go hippie, but did try using baking soda to clean the inside of my microwave. Sounded like a good idea, because baking soda will not leave chemicals in the microwave. You don't see them, but they're there. The chemicals can get into your food. A lot of you have probably not thought of all this. Try using baking soda to clean out your microwave or at least using a wet cloth to avoid leaving chemicals in the microwave.

About the coffee filter ideas presented here, I'm not sure if I will be trying any of them. I don't do some the things presented and I have never known to cover bowls in the microwave. I guess I've learned something here.

Really, who knew?

No comments: