Friday, March 5, 2010

Worth the wait

After hearing about the movie "An Education" last summer and waiting many months to see it, I finally got the chance this week when it was shown as part of the Wednesday Cinema Arts Series at my town's theater.  I was certain it would not a a regular-run film at the theater, but it seemed a likely candidate for the Cinema Arts Series.  I first went to the theater for this series last October when they showed "(500) Days of Summer." The series is on hold during summer and winter since a lot of major releases come out on Wednesdays during those seasons.  The series returned two weeks ago with "Precious," another art film I'd been waiting to see.  I'd pondered going out of town to see "An Education," but was always too tired or too worried about gas, or it would be raining or the movie would be shown late in the day.  I was sure they'd bring it to my town once they got the art film series running again,  especially after "An Education" got several Oscar nominations.  I kept checking their website and once I saw it was coming on March 3, I was excited.  At last.   The wait was over.   I loved the movie, just as I'd been certain I would.  It took a long time to get to see it, but it was worth the wait.    Carey Mulligan, the lead actress in "An Education" looks to be a good actress and I am looking forward to seeing more of her.  I was not aware until recently that she was one of the sisters in the 2005 film version of "Pride and Prejudice."   

I'm still deciding whether to see the next three art films at my town's theater this month: "Broken Embraces,"  "The Young Victoria"  and  "The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus."   I now hope they'll bring "Me and Orson Welles," "A Single Man," and  "Fish Tank."    I'm at least glad they bring art-type films to my town, even if it's only once a week.  It lets the residents of this town experience these not-s0-mainstream (but often critically acclaimed) movies without driving to another town (before the film hits DVD), even if it takes months to see a particular title.   "An Education" was originally released last October.  I first read about it August last year and that's when I knew I wanted to see it.   And at last I did. 

1 comment:

Fancy Dress Costumes said...

I thought an education was great, not a patch on 500 days of summer but still worth the watch.