Monday, November 29, 2010

Christmas Overload and it's Still November

I'd hoped the Christmas Music would just be intermittent over the store intercom as it 

Christmas-songs-for-piano.jpg

was in the week before Thanksgiving.  No such luck.  It was like that the Friday before turkey day, then (supposedly the day after Thanksgiving, since I did not work that day) switched to Christmas all day long. I should have known.  It's been like that every year since I've worked at that store and every year I get tired of the day-long Christmas music rotation.

Just how many versions exist of "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer," "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" or "Winter Wonderland"?  By the end of the week I will have heard at least five different versions of each or so it will seem.  It won't matter exactly how many.  It's not even December yet and the Christmas music and merchandise have already been on overload.  The merchandise has been coming since September and its displays overtook the Halloween ones before the calendar even switched to October., something that happens every year. The two holidays were even placed side-by-side.  

Strangely, the music system never plays "Do You Hear What I Hear?" or "Little Drummer Boy" and I imagine that those two have been covered by numerous artists.  One person I know wasn't aware of this version of "Drummer Boy".  

No comments: