Wednesday, November 27, 2013

League Assignment: Talking Turkey

This week’s assignment from the League: Let’s talk turkey


I don’t know if anyone is around this week since it’s Thanksgiving and all, but if you are, let’s have a little fun with this week’s assignment for the League of Extraordinary Bloggers
What a turkey! 
OK, here's what came to my mind.  Thanksgiving episodes of TV shows.   It's too bad I didn't think of this sooner because Now there is no time to rent the disc from Netflix in time for tomorrow.  I'm talking about the famous Thanksgiving episode of "The Bob Newhart Show," in which Bob wins a turkey in a raffle but forgets to let it thaw later on.  He stays home as Emily goes to visit her family in Seattle, and gets joined by Jerry, Mr. Carlin and Howard.  They get drunk while watching football and Bob brings out the rock-hard turkey.  They guys decide they'll need to turn up the oven to 2000 degrees, but as Jerry discovers, the oven only goes up to 500.  Bob: "Then we'll use four ovens."  Eventually they decide to  order Chinese food, so much that the delivery guy needs a hand crate to deliver it.  It's been years since I've seen this episode and as I said earlier, I didn't think of ti till now and perhaps another year I'll rent the disc in time for Turkey Day.  I could not find the full episode online either, but while Googling for images, all I could find was the one on this website, with some info on the episode as well as four other Thanksgiving episodes of other TV shows.  FYI,  I've never seen the "Cheers" Thanksgiving episode in which we sort of see Norm's wife Vera for the first and only time.  Read the link above for more information.

And since I have three of the 10 seasons of "Friends" on DVD, I pulled them out to watch the Thanksgiving episodes.  The episodes in question are those from Season One: "The One Where Underdog Gets Away;"   the one from Season Four, "The One With Chandler in a Box";   and Season Seven, "The One Where Chandler Doesn't Like Dogs."    Last month, I rented Season Eight to see the one and only "Friends" Halloween episode, and as such Saw that season's Thanksgiving episode in late October, "The One With the Rumor."   "Friends" had a Thanksgiving episode every season except the second one.  
______________________________________________________________

Other getting in on turkey talk for this week's assignment include so far:

Nerd Out With Me also looks at his favorite Thanksgiving shows
Goodwill Hunting for Geeks  looks at Thanksgiving books. 
D.I. Treasures has a very Mr. Bean Thanksgiving.
Diary of  a Dorkette has her own Turkey Day presentation.
Retro Robot Review  has a very MST3K Thanksgiving.  

 

1 comment:

Nerd Out With Me said...

When I was a kid I used to fake sleeping and watch The Bob Newhart Show. One of my fonder memories. Hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving!