Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Going to be Doctored Out!

How many times a year or month do you see a doctor?  And how many different doctors do you have? I generally go to low-cost clinics in my town so I don't have any one particular doctor I regularly see. Unlike when I was younger and was regularly seen by the same pediatrician, and as teen when I had braces and had a regular orthodontist as well as a general dentist.  But now I see who I can get for whatever reason I need medical services who will take my insurance.  This month alone I have three appointments. And I have to admit going to doctors has often been one source of my anxiety.

It's been years since I've had to view the famous eye chart, but tomorrow I have an eye exam. I've found once you hit your 40s you have to hold small-print out to see it better, something I've been experiencing for some time now.  I only hope I don't need glasses, since my insurance only covers the exam :-)
Snellen eye chart
When was the last time you
saw this famous chart?


Last year I had toothache and went to the county health foundation to see a dentist and found I had three cavities. Before they could drill my cavities, I needed a deep cleaning that took three different visits, and the fillings took three appointments as well.  I had another visit last November and another this coming Monday. I used to be able to walk to the health foundation, but since I moved,  I now have to drive from across town! And get there by 8AM.

Pain-free dentistry can help you get over your fear of the dentist


And on Thursday next week I go behavioral health to see the new psychiatrist. The department has been having trouble keeping doctors and  had one I really liked who was only there temporarily, though I saw him about six times.  The one I saw last month was a telepsychiatry doctor. I was told this one won't be back, but that the new one will also be a telepysch doctor. I'm anxious to see who this new one will be.


My session wasn't anything like this one.

As far as physical exams, I had one last summer at one of the clinics in town just before seeing the doctor who prescribed my Prozac.  The first psychiatrist I'd seen last summer had recommended I get an exam before seeing the next psychiatrist who began the prescription.  The exam included a blood draw, something I hadn't had in years.

I don't think I've ever had this many appointments in one month.

No comments: