Literary Loners Reading Challenge 2017
There will be two options for this challenge and you may choose one or both. The first option is to read books featuring a character identified as a loner, outcast, recluse, wallflower, or introvert. This can be the main character (such as Bella from Twilight or Charlie from The Perks of Being a Wallflower) or a secondary one (such as Miss Havisham from Great Expectations or Boo Radley from To Kill a Mockingbird). The second option will be to read works written by writers known to have been loners or recluses. The great poet Emily Dickinson was very much a loner as was author J.D. Salinger, and this link says the ancient Greek playwright Euripides was something of a loner. A biography of such writers may be read as well. For more reading ideas, see the following links:
A Look at Loners in Literature
The Top 10 Loners in Literature
Fictional Loners Books
5 Books About Loners
Why Do We Love Literary Lone Wolves?
You are by no means limited to reading what is suggested in the links. Any books you find that fit the challenge description may be read.
Guidelines for the Challenge
- Challenge will run from January 1 to December 31, 2017. Books must be started on or after January 1 to count. Re-reads will be allowed as long as they are read during the specified time period.
- Books may cross over to other challenges in which you are participating.
- Fiction (all genres and subgenres), nonfiction, poetry collections and plays that fit the challenge description may be read.
- All book formats are allowed (paper, audio, electronic, graphic novels/manga).
- Please link back to this blog, post about it on Facebook, Tweet about it, and so on to help spread the word.
- I will not be creating levels. I will let you to decide how many books to read.
- You do not need a blog to sign up. You may keep tract of your progress on Goodreads, Amazon or other similar sites with a shelf dedicated to this challenge. Or sign up on Youtube, Facebook, or Twitter.
- You do not need to post reviews, nor will there be any check-ins
NOTE: I have been having issues with Linky, so I will now have those wishing to participate sign up below in the comments. If you've already signed up via the Linky, please leave your sign-up link in the comments. Sorry for any inconvenience.
Above all, have fun. I look forward to seeing what you read.